Monday, February 10, 2014

Introducing our Guest Designer Linda Wetterlin!

Hello Ladies,
Today I would like you to meet my friend and fellow crafter, Linda the Valentine Queen!
 Her words in purple( since it's her favorite color)
"Thanks to Hannah for inviting me to be a guest on Die Cut Divas blog this month!  I first met Hannah on the Hero Arts Flickr group, along with some other Divas like Arlene, Dawn and Paula.  Arlene is the one who encouraged me to join the Divas Flickr group which I promptly did in September 2009.  I'm more of a stamper so don't post there as often as I'd like, but I do use die cuts!  So, thanks again - I'm excited to be here this week!"

Hero Arts Chocolate (discontinued) folded card, Authentique and Doodlebug papers;  May Arts silk ribbon; Hero Arts stamps:  CL760 Happy Birthday Scroll  for the "Big Hugs",  CL586 for the xoxo, CL736 For Your Kindness for the flowers on heart #2, and DI065 Scalloped Heart Stamp and Die set exclusive for Archivers; Die cuts:  Spellbinders Resplendent Rectangles for the window, Hero Arts Stamp and Die for the scalloped heart, DI057 Layered Hearts for the second heart, Taylored Expressions Cupid's Arrows for the bottom 2 hearts; Hero Arts gems; Walnut Stain Stickles.

Tell us a little about yourself
I've lived in Minnesota for over 20 years but I was born and raised in Wisconsin - at least I've stuck close to the Mississippi River all these years!!  I work in a management group for a Federal agency which administers cash benefits.  In my spare time, besides card making, I sing baritone (a challenging harmony part) in a large Sweet Adeline chorus called City of Lakes Chorus (www.cityoflakes.org).  I sang in Chord Company quartet for 16 years but we retired a few years ago.  One of my best quartet memories is our 2006 trip to New Zealand, touring and singing along the way.  I enjoy my extended family which includes some long-time friends and my former quartet members. 
I remember watching a short video of your group it was quite good, and very harmonious, visiting New Zealand sounds awesome! and that is where our fellow hostess Dawn hails from
How long have you been a card maker/scrapper & when did you start?
I began stamping and scrapbooking in 2000 when my sister asked for my help with a project.  The first stamp I bought was a 2000 Hero Arts wood block sentiment “Take Time to Enjoy the Simple Things in Life” that I used to make bookmarks for a chorus craft boutique.  I still have that stamp - love the sentiment!!
I do too, good old Hero Arts!
Hero Arts Charcoal folded card; Doodlebug papers; Hero Arts sentiment stamp (white embossed) from CL748 You're So Kind; Lawn Fawn sequins; Dies:  Taylored Expressions Cupid's Arrows and more hearts from the Hearts Cutting Plate, along with various Silhouette cuts, including the Heart Stamp from card 2.  Oh and another HA stamp and die from card 1 but I cut the scallops off, Hero Arts heart gem.

I started making cards with stamps in 2007.  A coworker Bonnie invited me to a Stampin' Up party.  Of course I bought something to help her out, but I wasn't into making a bunch of the same card.  Bonnie became a friend and we began taking classes at Archiver’s (sadly a soon-to-close Minnesota based store).  That’s when I really started collecting stamps, mainly Hero Arts but some others carried at Archiver's.  I found the Hero Arts Blog in 2009 and pretty much went deep into card-making; the scrapbooking kinda fell by the wayside.  I was a Hero Hostess (a facilitator for their Flickr group) in 2011 and have been able to participate in several of the Hostess Blog Hops.

I'm so sad that archivers is closing down for good, that was my go to store for just about everything 😞
Do you follow sketches or dive right in?
I have used sketches when appropriate - such as for an online challenge.  In fact, my first Flickr upload was using a sketch by Shari Carroll (love Shari and her work - she has been a big inspiration).  Hero Arts used to have weekly contests and that was the first one I entered.  But no, as a general rule I don't go to a sketch for my cards.
How many projects do you make a week?
I am very busy with work and chorus so my crafting time isn't as much as I'd like!  I tend to make a list at the start of the month of cards I need and go from there - in an average month about 8, not including Christmas cards (I make about 40 Christmas cards for the year).
Not bad at all! That is better then I can do sometimes, I need to remedy that
    Dotted kraft card base from Michaels; Bazzill, BoBunny, Hero Arts and Doodlebug papers;Taylored Expressions Hearts Cutting Plate die (cut three times - used the pink open hearts background and the hearts that popped out of 2 dotted cuts), Silhouette die cut file - Heart Stamp by Sweet Afton, Hero Arts heart gem.

What is your favourite tool (what can't you create without) & why?
I need a million tools, as evidenced by all the stuff I have in my house!   But I must say, I've been really pleased with my Fiskars ProCision™ Rotary Bypass Trimmer - just a great, straight cut and the blade is self-sharpening.  Love, love, love it and worth every penny I spent (of course, I used a coupon at Michael's for a good deal).
That sounds impressive, I will have to look into that
What at the moment is your most favourite thing to do on your project?
Lately, I've been feeling the love for SEQUINS!  Which is quite funny since I've been wearing sequins on my Sweet Adeline costumes for oodles of years!!  Just love sequins by Lawn Fawn - so many cuties, including leaves and snowflakes.
I never would have thought to use sequins, seriously! But that sounds really neat
How would you describe your style?
Hmmmm - I won't say "no style" since you have to have some, just to create!  But I don't stick to any particular thing - I'm more of an ecletic gal - and that goes for my taste in music too, btw, even if Barbershop style is my main musical love!
Sounds good to me
What about your style would you change (or not) & why
I would really love to develop a better sense of composition.  I've improved but I know there are guidelines I should employ for a better result.  I'm just happy to continue growing through the inspiration of all the talented women in the DCD and Hero Arts Flickr group.
Ditto! 
Have you been published or on a Design team - when & where?
No and no.  I sent a card in to some magazine - can't even remember the name - soon after I started card making.  I was so naive!!  I learned a lot from winning some Hero Arts challenges and realized that my first magazine submission was so lame!  My friend (and sister Hero Hostess from 2011) Heather (Heather Maria D on Flickr) and I decided in 2011 to try and get published.  Of course, she actually submitted and was published many times since.  I just never tried (sorry Heather).  I think a Design team would be such fun - so much camaraderie!  Maybe I'll try for one after I retire from work; I just can't add any more responsibilities right now.  I'm on our chorus Music Team (co-section leader for the Baritone group) and that keeps me busy too.
Same here, but we'll get to publishing eventually I hope, that is a goal (distant) for me
Describe (pictures are even better) your crafting area
Hate to say it, but I'm too embarrassed to share photos of my crafting area - or AREAS, as I tend to spread my stuff out throughout the house.  The only rooms that are safe are the bathrooms - LOL!  Oh, and one guest room has been totally purged of craft items.  Right now my Vagabound sits on a rolling organzer that has rolled its way into the family room.  My Silhouette sits on a TV tray beside a coffee table where my laptop sits in front of the television.  My poor dining table hasn't seen a meal on it in over a year - crafts overtook it, along with most of the kitchen table.  I have a home office/craft room but the supplies began to overflow it - yes I can walk in there, it just isn't pretty!  My family has accused me of hoarding craft supplies - now I wouldn't go that far, but I do have a lot.
But hey! at least you can do some form of crafting no matter what room you are in
Do you have a blog? If not where can we see more of your fabulous creations?
I do have a blog!  But I'm a bad blogger, meaning inconsistent.  I recently had 3 months where I didn't post at all - just too busy with other stuff!  But you can find me Scrappin', Stampin' & Singin': http://scrappinstampinsingin.blogspot.com/
Love the title!

Thanks Linda! It was great getting to know you more, dear readers, please check out her blog, and don't forget to come back Wednesday to see what she has for us.
Adieu

 Hannah and the DCD Team

6 comments:

Dawn T said...

fabulous interview Linda. So pleased to get to know you a little better!

judkajudi said...

It is not "hoarding"; it is "collecting". Loved the interview with Linda. She is as kind as she is talented. We will all miss Archiver's and the opportunity to meet at Scrapfest.

CinnamonSally said...

Great interview with Linda, lovely cards too Linda!!

Cindy C. said...

So nice to read more about you Linda!! Your Valentine's Day cards are wonderful!!

Arlene said...

Loved getting to know you better. Your cards are always inspiring and you're FUN! Hugs to Linda!

stampingandstitching said...

Linda, wonderful interview and fabulous cards! I love learning even more about you and, as always, you are so inspiring! Lol I'm with Judy - we're just collecting;)