Monday, September 8, 2014

The Color Wheel Technique

Arlene has a great technique here with these two cards, using a color wheel to combine coordinating colors. 
 in her own words;
Another technique for me.  This Technique in using the color wheel is choosing analogous colors with one complement.  I used three analogous colors on this card, consisting of Yellow, Yellow-Green and Green.  I then used the complementary color of Green, which is Red.

I used three colors next to each other on the color wheel.   Taking a section from Dina Wakely's handout practice sheets, "These colors harmonize well and even blend into each other.  The effect is similar to a monochromatic scheme, but with more visual interest.  The gradual changing of the colors is pleasing and suggests form and depth". Another practice handout contained boxes again for practice using analogous with complement.  That's the technique I used here.

Analogous with Complement.  Analogous is 2 to 3 colors next to each other on the color wheel.  You add a color that is complementary to the middle color or actually to whichever color looks best of the paint you're using, but usually the middle color.  A Dina Wakely moment please:  "This scheme gives you the harmony of the analogous scheme, and a bit of pop from the complement."  I think it works!
I hope the color wheels below are helpful.  The two circles directly below are from worqx.com
complementary colors - red and greenComplementary Colors: Those colors located opposite each other on a color wheel.

analogous colorsAnalogous Colors: Those colors located close together on a color wheel
The wheel below I found by googling "color wheel" right here
Thanks Arlene I love this idea don't know I never thought of this when I'm stuck and don't know what colors to use.
Hannah and the DCD Team

No comments: